Posted on 2016-01-28 by Author Admin
Through design, garage door rollers partly combination lock into the tracks to inhibit them from popping out of the track when moving. It is important to note that, the door track of the garage curves up at the bottom most part to hold the wheels in place. This gives the possibility of replacing the garage door roller without unbolting the hinges that grips the rollers from the door panels. Likewise, if a roller go off the track, the repair involves removing of the hinges first, then tip the roller back into the track.
Sometimes the wheels come of, that is normal, do not panic. Follow the instruction given below for garage door roller replacement. Ensure that you have purchased a quality roller for the replacement as poor quality rollers end up not lasting and hence seem like a waste of your money.
What are the tools and equipment required in garage door roller replacement?
Before we check on the how let us first look at what we need in order to achieve the replacement task.
The following are the tools you should assemble:
i. Ladder for accessing the upper side of the garage door
iii. power drill
v. penetrating oil for lubrication
viii. safety glasses
ix. scrap 2 by 4 inch board
After collecting all the necessary tools, then we can say you are half way done. Just keenly follow the instructions on how to do the garage door roller replacement.
Essential Tips and steps for replacing garage door roller
1. Place 2 by 4 bracing under the open garage door for support. This ensures stability of the garage door panel hence minimize danger of the garage door moving down during replacement of rollers.
2. Unbolt the nuts that holds the broken hardware being replaced. To help loosen the bolts, spray some penetrating oil on them. Ensure that you protect your eyes using protection goggles.
3. Get rid of the old bracket, the metal stripping and hardware on it to pave room for a new set.
4. First try out if the new bracket can still use any of the bolts you are having. Sometimes it may force you to drill new holes for the new bolts, if so drill through the garage door.
5. Using the hammer, drive the bolts in from exterior side of the garage door carefully.
6. Site the wheel into the new bracket and position the bracket in such a manner that the wheel is held in the track.
7. Fasten brackets with nuts, and then tighten them after the wheel is placed appropriately.
8. Repeat the procedure on the other side of the garage door.
Rollers do have bearings inside them and rolls up and down the truck as there name suggests. They can sometimes be noisy or sticky such that they become annoying and hence need replacement. Ensure that you frequently lubricate them to reduce chances of rusting and also reduce friction. The garage door rollers sometimes seize up. This is not uncommon, if such happen just consider replacement of the rollers.
For more info on garage door repair visit www.charlottehomegaragedoor.com & avail hassle free services.